Monday, November 10, 2014

THE CHINA BAYLES MYSTERY SERIES by Susan Wittig Albert



Susan Wittig Albert, The China Bayles Mystery Series (published by Berkeley, 1992-  )

Available in hard cover and paperback, as well as for Kindle and Nook.

(FICTION)


Reviewed by Kathy Smith Morales

My introduction to the China Bayles mystery series came on my birthday several years ago as a gift from my husband. He saw book #14, Bleeding Hearts, on display in a bookstore and thought I might enjoy it.  The author of the series, Susan Wittig Albert, is a local author – local for us, anyway.  She lives near Austin, TX and I learned recently that a friend is in a women’s writing group with her. 

The main character, China Bayles, lives in the fictional town of Pecan Springs, located between Austin and San Antonio. China left her high-powered career as a criminal lawyer in Houston to seek a quieter life in Pecan Springs as the owner of an herb shop. But her past life as a criminal attorney keeps her busy solving mysteries in her new hometown.

I enjoyed the local flavor of Bleeding Hearts and the inclusion of some recipes that played a part in the story was a fun bonus. I decided to start at the beginning of the series and now make a habit of putting a couple on my Amazon wish list every year. My son thoughtfully obliges. I just had another birthday, so I’ve just finished reading Rueful Death on a road trip. Next up – Love Lies Bleeding.


This is a fun series. Each book has some herb or flower as part of the book title and as an ongoing theme throughout the plot. Each chapter begins with a bit of information, a quote, a recipe – some little extra something related to the herb of the book title. 

According to Wikipedia, Albert describes her books as "cozy mysteries" because they do not describe much violence or gratuitous behavior. Sometimes that is just what I want.

P.S. I also read that she used the pen name Carolyn Keene to write for the Nancy Drew series in the 1980s.

[NOTE: You can find a list of all the books in this series at the author’s website. See http://www.abouthyme.com/China/index.shtml. The website also has discussion guides for book groups and recipes for foods that might be served at a book club meeting.]
 

No comments:

Post a Comment